Sunday, March 11, 2007

Knitting with a cloud...





Guess what came in the mail Friday? Why it's a cone of laceweight cashmere from Colourmart.






Isn't it gorgeous? The color is called lemongrass, which perfectly describes the tone. I had been warned that Coulourmart laceweight is considerably smaller than regular laceweight, so I was a little worried. But I shouldn't havebeen. Knitting with this yarn is a breeze. Its as light as a feather and so soft. Even covered in the spinning oil it's like knitting with a cloud.




I got the yarn in the mail Friday night and had to start the Forest Path Stole immediately. I've made some progress and am now just beginning Tier 3. The pattern (though not the most well written pattern I've ever read) is delightful to knit. Entrelac and lace may seem like an intimidating combination, but the actual knitting is really quite simple. It helps to have knitted entrelac previously, in order to understand the too brief instructions. I really like the extra touch of exposing the selvages on the surface of the stole. This highlights the lace patterns beautifully.






My favorite of the lace patterns is the lily of the valley. Why? I just love a nupp! I know purling all of those stitches together can be a chore, but on balance the depth they add to lace is worth it. They aren't really so difficult to make if you as long as you knit the stitches loosely. I'm so in love with the nupp that about ten minutes ago I ordered Pitsilised Koekirjad, a book of Estonian lace patterns, from Martina's Bastel und Hobbykiste. I've seen several nuppful patterns from the book and I just have to have it.



Check out this nuppliness :



This is Divine from the new Ella Rae book 7. I thing it's smashing. Of course, not on me. My chest is way too large for that to look attractive, but I wish I could wear it.


I'm current thinking of whipping up some gloves with a lily of the valley pattern on the back of the hand. I'm thinking very short, cuffless. I don't know when I'll have the time.

Well, I guess I should be knitting.

1 comment:

fleegle said...

Regi-- I am so glad you stopped by my blog and gave me a chance to see your work. Gorgeous, lovely, charming, beautifully knit...did I miss an adjective? I wanted to put you on my Google Reader list, but there's no feed available. I bookmarked your site, though.