Monday, July 30, 2007

Look what the Post Office drug in...





I received an amazing package from my secret pal last week. I had hinted that I was interested in learning to spin. So what did she send me?





A super glitzy spindle, a book on spinning, and lovely yellow and green merino roving, yum.


I am so happy. I don't know why I never bought myself a spindle before this. I am now trying desperately to draft evenly. Here's the first yarn from my brand new sparkly spindle.





Not very even so far, but you know what, it's actual yarn. I can't describe the pleasure of taking that lumpy mass and knitting up something. Check out the swatch from my first yarn. If you look closely you can see that it's pretty regular at the bottom and bumpy lumpy at the top.




Have you ever noticed that the first time you try something new it goes incredibly smoothly, you think "wow, that's not as hard as I thought", and then you try it the second time and realize you have no idea what you are doing.



I think it went a little better with the beautiful handpainted merino roving. Check out swatch number two.





Not so bad. Sorry I don't have pictures of the yarn to post, but I couldn't wait to start knitting it up as soon as it dried. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to blow dry yarn, but for your information, it worked just fine.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Great work with the spindle. I purchased myself a kit that included a dvd but haven't tried it as yet.

You have inspired me to start. Looking forward to seeing more hand spun.