Saturday, February 24, 2007

Of socks and stoles...

Wow, I didn't mean to stay away for so long. I haven't done much knitting in the past week, unless you count all of the swatches I've started and frogged (about 10). I have been trying to find the perfect not too girly lace pattern for socks. I think I have finally decided on the Eyelet Check pattern. I would show you all (see I am a Texan), but I forgot to download the pictures from my camera which I believe is currently in the trunk of someones car. It's pretty great. I'm not sure, but it may be a lace pattern you could get some men to wear.

I've also decided to knit the Forest Path Stole from The Alpaca Yarn Co. Check out the loveliness:



It is a lace entrelac rectangular stole. It will be quite a challenge, but I have been wanting to knit for some time now. I have been practicing knitting backwards in preparation. I can do it, but I don't like it. I know it's a hassle to be constantly turning your work in entrelac, but I think I'm probably going to stick with purling.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time deciding on the yarn to use. Trying to pick out yarn online for a specific project can be such a drag. The color you see on your screen is rarely even close to the color of yarn you will receive. When deciding between fibers you have never used before you have to imagine what would this pattern look like in silk or cashmere or merino (I've never knit with lace weight silk or cashmere). I couldn't decide between Zephyr, Colourmart cashmere, silk and Knit Picks Shadow. Ultimately I ordered the Colourmart cashmere. I really wanted a luxurious yarn for the project. I mean, if I am going to spend hundreds of hours on something I want the yarn to be worth all the effort. I've heard so many good things about Colourmart that I just had to try it and at $34 including shipping from England for 2400 yards of lace weight cashmere, how could I go wrong. I chose a color called Lemongrass which appears to be a light gold-green color. I will have a lot more to say about the yarn when I get it in my hands and start knitting up a swatch.


3 comments:

Annie said...

OOh- wow. That is a serious bit of lace knitting- I can't wait to see how it comes along!!

Colette said...

I love Colourmart and have sent a lot of my cash their way over the past year. I just wanted to let you know that their lace weight is much finer than the other yarns you mentioned. I happen to have all three in my stash ;) I can send you a comparison photo of the three if you want.

regiknits said...

Thanks Knitsanity. I saw a really lovely version of the stole in the colourmart and I'm not really concerned about guage so I'm going to go for it. Who knows, I may get the yarn in the mail and freak out.