Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I think I'm in love.
My love is not an obvious beauty. Many would call her homely and a little masculine, but that's what I love about her. I just met her on Saturday in an very unlikly looking, but friendly little yarn shop near my house. I had been looking in the shop for some time before I spotted her, she really kind of blends into the background. But, when I picked her up and took her home she finally revealed her manifold charms. Here she is :





That's right Cestari sock yarn. She's a two ply cotton wool blend with a lovely hearty texture. When knit up she makes me think of evergreens and hiking boots. The yarns is a little bit fluffy and crunchy at the same time. Think Summer Tweed but soft and without the little hard bits. There are some quite coarse looking hairs poking out, but there is no itchiness. I really want to knit a summer sweater with this yarn. Considering that I live in Houston, it would be a fall and most of the winter sweater. The yarn has a really nice drape and knits up very fast on size three needles. I started knitting a pair of socks, but I frogged them after a while. I want these to be perfect house socks (I think sport weight is too bulky for socks to be worn with shoes). I've got to find or design a pattern that isn't overwhelmed by the visual texture of the yarn, yet is still special enough for this yarn. I purchased the yarn for $6.95 for 193 Yds. Not dirt cheap, but not overpriced either.

No comments: