Thursday, August 24, 2006

Wow it's been a long time. Well I've been so busy working on Breezy Cables I haven't had much time to write. That's not totally true, I have also managed to wasted a lot of time trying to find the perfect pattern and yarn for a sweater for a certain baby I know in Austin. I know, not a week ago I promised that I wouldn't be knitting any more gifts for other people for a while. Well, I lied.

As much as it frustrates me, I love knitting for friends. It's the perfect way to experience designs that you love, but know wouldn't suit you. The best thing is knitting for your super skinny friends. There are a lot of patterns that require very little yarn, yet have a lot of impact. I'm thinking of patterns like Ms Marigold and Green Gables from Zephyr Style. The smallest sizes require less than $20 of yarn. There aren't that many items that cost less to knit than to buy in a store. With just a few alterations, either of those sweaters can look very fancy and time consuming to the giftee, but they're not.

I also spent a lot of time dithering over whether or not to splurge on yarn for myself. Webs is having another great sale. It took at least four hours over two days to commit to purchase six skeins of Noro Transitions from Webs. Before I could go through with it I had to have several possible patterns for a sweater. It was a great deal, with shipping less than $90 for 800 yards of the most amazing yarn in all wooldom. Not cheap, but considering that Transitions is a bulky weight combination of camel, mohair, cashmere, silk, angora, and wool at 50% off the regular price I couldn't pass it up.

That's the worst thing about sales. You get so excited by the discount that sometimes you buy things you don't even want. I restrained myself. I have wanted to try Cash Iroha for over two years and it was on sale as well. I almost gave in, but the only colors on sale are shades of blue. I think this is progress. I have thirty five skeins of a crazy furry brilliant orange yarn that I got on sale from a craft store for a dollar a ball, because I convinced myself that I really needed a big fuzzy neon orange floor length coat. When I got home I realized that I did not. But it was 85% off.

I'll try to post some pictures of Breezy Cables tomorrow.

No comments: