Monday, August 21, 2006

What did you knit for Armageddon, Daddy?

Everyone seems to be thinking about the apocalypse. Every other conversation I've had recently somehow works itself around to gloomy prophesying. Maybe it's the war that seems to have no end. Maybe it's the fact that no one in politics or out seems to have a clear vision of an alternate future. It also maybe that I spend to many hours perusing the websites of esoteric doomsday cults. Oh well, there's always knitting.

I mean really what do you knit for the dystopian future? I'm thinking of baclavas with openings adjusted to fit gas masks. I wonder if Habu has thought of distributing yarns created from Kevlar. I mean Dale of Norway already has a yarn coated with Teflon. It seems like a logical progression of protection, from rain to shrapnel.

I don't really believe things are that bleak. For every action there is ultimately some sort of reaction. You attack and weaken Iraq and you strengthen Iran. Similarly in politics and culture the actions of one generation produce a reaction in the next. At this very bleak political moment, the very radical nature of the current administrations ideology is sowing the seeds of its own destruction. Or so I hope.

No comments: