Friday, August 11, 2006


Can You Knit Just One?

I know I can't.
I'm knitting the Hex Coat from Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan on a deadline. I foolishly gave myself two weeks to complete it. I still have to knit the arms, seam it and do the hexagon trim and I was supposed to finish yesterday. I always underestimate the time it will take me to knit a large project, but this is ridiculous. I suppose I could finish it on time if I did nothing else. But I have a big problem that I am finally ready to admit to myself. I am simply unable to work on one item without constantly being overtaken by the irresistable urge to begin something else.

I think the problem is that knitting makes me think about knitting. And when I'm stuck in the middle of a long mindless stretch of simple stitches, my mind wanders. I just have to swatch that yarn that has been sitting in a drawer for six months. Once that's done, I've got to look at all of my pattern books and magazines for hours until I convince myself that I still have no idea what to do with it.

In the past two weeks when I should have been working on the coat, I have knit two hats and begun three more, finished the front of another sweater and a purse, and made too many swatches of ugly yarn in ridiculous colors that looked really good in the store because they were on sale.

So know I am making a promise to myself. No more. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about forever, just until I finish this coat.

No comments: