Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I hate your baby..



I started a crazy quilt months ago for the baby of a friend of mine. I thought I had chosen my fabrics well and the piecing method seemed very forgiving. So I had just about finished the top when I realized that I was making the ugliest quilt I had ever seen. It was so bad that I was afraid that if I gave it as a gift it would not signify love and hope and comfort, all of the things a baby quilt should communicate. No, it would say loud and clear: "I hate your baby!"



I'm a good person. I don't hate babies. Okay maybe one or two, but in general no. So I had to come up with a solution. I saw an fabric ad in a quilting magazine that had a lovely quilt draped on a chair. I had to make it. I didn't stop to take pictures until the top was done and I was basting the layers together. Here she is:





My piecing skills are not so good, but I've decided that the wonkiness of my seams can be read as charmingly naive rather than sloppy. I'm rather proud of it right now. My first quilt will say: "I love your baby."

No comments: