Saturday, May 03, 2008

Blending




I think I'm in love. Really. Blending fiber with my hand cards is so addictive. I wasn't sure how easy it would be. I see all of the folks using drum carders to make the most wonderful batts. I've been incredibly jealous. So it's good to know that I can create many of the same effects with my cards.





This is a blend of merino (hand dyed by a mystery dyer), silk (hand dyed by me) and undyed angora fiber. As you can see above I cut the silk fiber to about the same staple length as the merino and it worked like a charm. The skein is 42 yards at 9 wpi. I think I have enough fiber left to spin another 150-200 yards at that weight, but I might try going finer.



Believe it or not I have been knitting. In fact I was knitting so much that I didn't even touch my computer for a week. This year my new years resolution was to not knit any more sweaters (not forever, but just for a while). Why? Because I start way more sweaters than I finish. I knit a sweater for my Mom last Christmas. I finished all of the pieces on time and I still haven't seamed it. Considering that this sweater has been frogged and reknit at least three times using a couple of different patterns, I think I shouldn't be promising them as gifts.

I just couldn't help myself this time. My nieces was turning 13 years old. I thought a special occasion like that deserved a special gift. So I knitted this sweater from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2006.








Its the #6 Short Sleeved Pullover (doesn't VK give it's pattern the most charming names). I knitted it using Berocco Comfort DK in color #2760 on size 6 needles. I really love how it came out. The yarn is very soft and machine washable and dryable, which is essential in my sister's household. It's very easy to snag while knitting so you have to be careful, but I think it's worth it.

I also made something not fiber related.




It was really yummy. It's buttermilk cake, filled with lemon curd, whipped cream, raspberries, and strawberries. It was a special request. The kids call it the Trifle Cake. I made a trifle with the same flavors that they loved so much that when they knew I was making a birthday cake, they begged me to make the same thing but cake-shaped.

Next post there will be weaving. I received my heddle and had to make a few loom adjustments (who knew the 24" heddle was actually over 25" long. Fortunately dowels are really cheap. The loom still costs less than half the price of the heddle.

2 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

The sweater looks great! I'm sure she loves it. =)

I need to get my hand cards out and play. You make it look fun!

MRC said...

Hello...I just came across your blog, and I'm really enjoying reading about all your knitting adventures!

You've inspired me to take the plunge and start spinning.