Wednesday, March 26, 2008




Do I really need a new hobby?


Probably not, but I just cannot resist the weaving bug. I think it's just a matter of time after you start spinning before you start thinking about weaving. Some hardy souls are able to hold back, but I'm in fiber overdrive. So now what?

I read everything I could find online. There is no way that I would even contemplate buying another piece of fiber related equipment that costs more than my wheel, unless it's a drum carder. Since my wheel was only $250, my options were pretty limited.

I've seen rigid heddle looms popping up everywhere lately and they are relatively affordable, from $120- 250. But extra heddles are $30-40. It's still too much, so guess what? I'm going to make a loom myself. It's just a frame with dowels on two ends.


I found the old dinner tray stand shown above in the garage. I'm using the long rails as the sides, the feet to hold the warp and cloth beams, and the hanging racks to hold the second beams(I don't know what they are called but they raise the warp above the frame.) I'm using hanger bolts and wing nuts to hold the warp and cloth beams so that I can tighten the warp and roll it forward as I work.


I went to the hardware store and bought two dowels and hardware. I still have to attach the last dowel, and the heddle blocks. In the end I think I will be out $10 and a couple of hours or work at most. Here it is in all of its glory.





Now to figure out a way to make a cheap heddle. I'm pretty sure making an 8 dent heddle would be no problem, but any finer is going to be really hard. I've tried string heddles and they are far more trouble than they are worth. I guess I'll keep looking.

3 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

You're nothing if not industrious! That'll be so awesome if you end up making a working loom for so cheap.

regiknits said...

I've admitted to myself that there is no way I can make a heddle smalle than 8 dent so I have one on order. I just have to figure out where to position the heddle block and I should be good. I post pics when it get in.

katie lore said...

And there it is! You must be very proud to make your own loom....I can't wait to see it in action.

You're right about these simple looms making weaving understandable. I look at the 4 and 8 shaft looms and they just make me so confused and anxious. :/

btw, I love your chartreuse wheel!